Canada’s Top Performing Companies 2013
I was happy to see the latest edition of Canadian Business in my mailbox this week.
Every year, the magazine issues the Investor 500 edition, a comprehensive look at Canada’s 500 largest publicly traded companies. In this edition I also found an article listing the top 15 Canadian companies by profit and total revenue:
Although these stocks offer a range of yields, the top-15 by profit would likely be a good starting point for your dividend stock portfolio research. Some of these Canadian companies have been paying dividends for over 100 years and others, regular and increasing dividends for decades.
Let’s a have quick look at some of the data:
- Royal Bank (RY) – paid dividends since 1870.
- TD (TD) – paid dividends since 1857.
- Bank of Nova Scotia (BNS) – paid dividends since 1832.
- Bank of Montreal (BMO) – paid dividends since 1829.
- Imperial Oil (IMO) – paid dividends for over 100 years and has increased annual dividend for 18 consecutive years.
- CIBC (CM) – paid dividends since 1868.
- Canadian Natural Resources (CNQ) – paid regular quarterly dividend since 2001.
- Canadian National Railway (CNR) – paid regular quarterly dividends since 1996.
- Bell Canada (BCE) – paid regular quarterly dividends since 1983.
- Great-West Lifeco (GWO) – paid regular quarterly dividends since 1990.
Can you imagine the income you might have received from such companies if you had bought and stay invested in such companies over the years – instead of jumping in and out of the market?
Can you imagine the capital appreciation you would have gained as well?
Investors, if you’re struggling over what Canadian dividend paying stocks to purchase for your portfolio, while pouring over company metrics still makes sense and buyer must always beware, consider owning the Canadian companies that make a bunch of money and have been doing so for a very, very long time.
What do you think of these companies? Do you think past performance could be any forecast of future results for these dividend paying stocks?