Weekend Reading – Zero-fee investing, value traps, fat TFSAs, Canadian Financial Summit and more #moneystuff
Welcome to my latest Weekend Reading edition – where I share some of my favourite articles from the week that was across the personal finance and investing blogosphere.
Like I promised readers last week, I shared an update about a successful DIY investor profiled many years ago – who thanks to her investments hasn’t had a mainstream job in almost 20 years!
Although it’s hard to avoid at times, comparing yourself to others, I decided to compare our financial goals in this post – about being ready to retire in 10 years via these 10 goals. Thoughts on our game plan? What do you make of these milestones?
Hard to believe it’s almost Labour Day weekend. Time for me to get out and enjoy the nice summer weather while it’s still here in Ottawa!!
Enjoy your weekend and see you on the site!
It was a great week for the dividend income portfolio – a recent update you can find here. Both Royal Bank and CIBC increased their dividends this week.
“Most financial institutions estimate the average Canadian will need about a million dollars to retire comfortably. People can accrue this wealth by putting their money into real estate, registered retirement saving plans or mutual funds, but experts agree the best way to have a million dollars for future retirement is to already have a million dollars in the present. If managed well, you might then have even more than a million dollars for retirement.” Good one.
Here are some ideas about avoiding the value traps with some stocks.
Dan Bortolotti of Canadian Couch Potato fame argued zero-fee ETF investing, even negative-fee ETF investing won’t deliver the investor success some people think it will.
Also, in a few short weeks, one of the podcasts I will be part of is the Canadian Financial Summit. In one place, you’ll find 25+ Canadian personal finance experts who will share their insights, tips, and favourite money hacks to save more, invest more and grow your money.
EVEN BETTER – this Summit is 100% FREE – and you don’t have to get out of your pyjamas to check it out!
Just head on over to the Canadian Financial Summit, sign up for free, and be automatically entered to win one of the free Premium All Access Passes they will giving away when the event goes LIVE on September 12th.
I’m joining leading financial experts on the following money topics:
- Saving more on everyday items
- Better, smarter, easier ways to invest
- Getting the most out of TFSAs, RRSPs, and RESPs
- How to prepare both your portfolio and lifestyle for retirement
- Aspirations to own a $1 million portfolio and F.I.R.E. (Financial Independence/Retire Early)
- Getting financially setup in Canada for New Immigrants
- Avoiding crippling fees and terrible financial advice
- Understanding the housing market and where it’s headed
- The best credit cards in Canada if you want free travel or cash back
- Great, cheap travel tips and much, much more!
Once again – this event is completely FREE to attend. However, if you can’t make it for the scheduled date/time, you will be given the option to purchase a special any-time, anywhere, Premium All Access Pass that will allow you stream the entire conference whenever fits you best.
I look forward to sharing what I will be talking about at this Summit in the coming weeks – spoiler alert – I’m really going to put myself out there!
The chief executives of America’s top 350 companies earned 312 times more than their workers on average last year, according to a recent report published by the Economic Policy Institute. That’s a BIG delta…
Partnerships and Deals – Invest with confidence and save $$$
Thanks to my passion for personal finance and investing, some great companies want to offer deals. As a reader, you might as well take advantage of them although there is never an obligation.
From my Deals page:
- As a My Own Advisor reader you get full-access, during your FREE trial, to all of 5i’s research reports, all the model portfolios, top companies and best ETFs to own.
- You can use my promo codes when you invest with BMO to save hundreds of dollars right away!
- You can get $50,000 managed free with ModernAdvisor.
- Sign up for commission-free investing with Questrade.