Effective now – with the merger between Starwood Hotels & Resorts and Marriott International – members of both hotel loyalty programs now have reciprocating benefits if you link your accounts. I just transferred some SPG Points to Marriott Rewards. Here’s how I did it.
- 1 (one) SPG Point is now worth 3 (three) Marriott Rewards. Those points can be transferred between programs.
- By linking accounts – members have access to more rewards, rewards associated with each existing program.
- Until sometime in 2018, Marriott Rewards will continue its partnership with JP Morgan Chase (for Visa cardholders) and SPG will continue its partnership with American Express for the Starwood Guest program.
- You can un-link accounts until the complete merger between programs is finalized.
You can learn more about the merger of these loyalty programs and link your accounts here.
How to link accounts and transfer points?
Here is an overview of the process I used to link my SPG Points account to my Marriott Rewards account and transfer points.
- Access this link and select the SPG – “Members Start Here” option.
- Sign in to your SPG account or create your account if not already done so.
3. Follow the prompts to link your accounts. You must link your accounts before you can transfer points. Ensure you select “Finish Linking” before making a points transfer. Your accounts should now be linked and the member status (of each program) will be matched.
4. Transfer SPG Points to Marriott Rewards using the online screen prompt (“Transfer Starpoints to Rewards Points”) or by visiting this link.
5. Follow the prompts to transfer points. You can read all the fine print about the linking and points here.
Done! I found this online process to be simple and instant. My SPG Points are now in my Marriott Rewards account.
What do you make of the merger between Starwood Hotels & Resorts and Marriott International? Good for loyalty members? Do you collect or use hotel loyalty points?