I was on Canadian Money Forum the other day and this thread that would not normally catch my attention, well, caught my eye:
Dishwasher detergent, cost per wash
The thread went on to describe or at least try and quantify the difference in costs using dishwasher powder compared to dishwasher liquid and further still compared to dishwasher packets/pods. Yes, it appears a number of people have way too much time on their hands.
Yet this got me thinking about many of the costs associated with your dishwasher, so let’s list a few:
- The capital cost of your appliance.
- The cost of appliance delivery and installation (unless it was done DIY), then go to #3.
- The cost your time to install the appliance versus the cost of paying somebody else (to do it right?).
- Your initial cost of dishwasher powder, liquid, or packets/pods unless it came free with the appliance.
- The ongoing cost of #4.
- The ongoing cost of going to the store, to buy #4.
- The cost of water supply or if you’re on a well like we are, go to #8.
- The maintenance costs of your well and water supply.
- The cost of hydro to run the dishwasher, regardless of setting.
- The non-existent cost, rather smugness feeling of using only the “light” cycle on dishwasher because you have prerinsed your dishes prior to using the appliance. Go to #11.
- The cost of your water supply or well maintenance for your prerinsed dishes.
- The opportunity costs of your time to prerinse dishes, although this could be countered with the prolonged life of your dishwasher by prerinsing dishes.
- The cost of hydro used for lights in your kitchen, so you can see the dishwasher you need to turn on, on the “light” cycle (after your dishes were prerinsed) and then you can turn the kitchen lights off again that you are no longer using.
- Let’s not forget the cost/time taken, to clip the coupons, to save your hard-earned money on the dishwasher powder, liquid, or packets/pods that you need to drive or walk to the store to get to run your modern appliance to help keep things clean.
Let’s not even go to the point of an evergreen cycle for your dishwasher appliance that includes maintenance and replacements costs. I mean, I could, but that’s another great post to come don’t you think?
Don’t worry, I’ll be back to regular scheduled programming soon. 🙂