The great folks at TurboTax have given me six (6) codes to use with their TurboTax online software system. I don’t need all of these this year, maybe you want a code to use?
To win one of these online codes you just need to enter my giveaway using the options below. When commenting or tweeting I encourage you to finish this sentence: I save on taxes by __________. Sharing your favourite tax filing tips with me and with others in a comment or tweet will increase your chances to win.
I’ll draw the winners at random and if you’re a lucky winner, I will email you. Make sure you enter a valid email address. You’ll have 48 hours to respond to my email. If I don’t hear back from you I’ll draw another name.
If you can’t think of any ways to save on taxes, fear not, I have a few tips for you. Over the next few weeks while my TurboTax giveaway is on I might tweet out a few more tax tips as I research them and maybe write another blogpost about them – so stay tuned for those.
Students – put cash back into your pocket (rather your Mom and Dad’s pocket) by claiming:
- Tuition – up to $400/month you were in school.
- Books – up to $65/month you were in school.
- Moving costs – when you moved over 40km to attend school (and out of your parent’s basement).
Parents – identify these tax credits for your family:
- Children’s fitness tax credit – up to $500 per year for eligible child.
- If you’re a new parent maybe you can claim the Adoption Expense Credit.
- Check to see if you qualify for the Home Buyer’s Amount, a tax credit up to $5,000.
- Don’t miss out on the GST/HST rebate, if your primary place of residence was a new house and the price was under $450,000.
Seniors and retirees:
- Use TurboTax to see if you qualify for the Family Caregiver Tax Credit.
- File on time – seniors receiving Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) must file on time to continue benefits and payments.
<giveaway closed and over – thanks for participating!>
Good luck to all students, parents, new homeowners (same as homemoaners really) and retirees alike with my giveaway.