For years we felt we needed a home phone. We still feel that way, albeit less and less each year. However a few years ago there was a breaking point. I couldn’t stomach spending $30 per month for a home phone service I barely used. I knew there was a better way. I needed a lower cost but reliable alternative. Enter Canadian-based Fongo.
What is Fongo?
Fongo uses Voice-Over Internet Protocol (VoIP) to place and receive your home phone calls. You can also use your cell phone, using your existing data plan or WiFi connection, to utilize up to 1000 calling minutes per month – that’s 16 hours of talk time per month for every month you have the service.
Do you have a tablet? If so, you can use it over your home WiFi network and never have a home phone bill again.
Why did we choose Fongo Home Phone?
- You can transfer your existing home phone to Fongo (from Rogers, from Bell) for a small one-time fee.
- Fongo Home Phone comes with free voicemail to email (when you miss a call), free caller ID, free call waiting and more.
- You can call almost any major city in Canada, free. They have free “calling cities”.
- You can call worldwide to international cities for stupid low rates like $0.02 per minute.
- There is no complex set-up. There is no technician involved. All you need is a high speed internet connection, your current home phone, and the Fongo VOIP adapter. Plug and play in minutes. Here is a short YouTube video to show you how.
- There is also portable convenience. Take Fongo Home Phone with you to your vacation home and keep making free calls as if you’re still local!
- You get free online support from Fongo courtesy of their support page.
- There’s no contract.
- You can listen to your voicemail online anytime.
- You can view your call log online anytime.
- No cost or fees associated with maintaining a ‘dryloop’.
Image courtesy of Fongo.
Want to use Fongo without the home phone option? Go for it!
- Using WiFi, you can call another Fongo customer anywhere in the world for free. When you’re connected on a call, Fongo uses 0.5MB of data per calling minute so even a paid-for 500MB data-plan gives you approximately 1000 calling minutes per month.
- You can get a free Fongo mobile number using the Fongo app.
- Do you have a tablet? That’s your new free home or anywhere phone.
The home phone cost?
4.95 per month + taxes. No contract. No cancellation fees.
I started writing about Fongo Home Phone on my site (no affiliation) back in June, 2014. Almost three years later, here is the approximate cost of using this service.
- Adapter = $59
- Shipping = $15
- Number transfer = $20
- First month service fee + deposit = $4.95 (x2)
- Taxes = $14
Out of the box cost ($118) plus monthly service costs to date ($168) = $286 total operational costs.
Other than rebooting the adapter a few times since owning the equipment, due to a lost signal, Fongo Home Phone has worked very well to date and I’ve been very happy with this service. Verdict? In investing speak: buy and continue to hold. Long Fongo (no affiliation).
What VOIP service do you use?
Other services and articles:
If you’re not using a low-cost VOIP service yet, why not?
BIG Note: Please quote this blog, my email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) and/or my name (Mark Seed) in your referral. If you refer someone to Fongo home phone and you will receive 1 month of home phone service for free ($4.95 value). The person you refer must enter your email or home phone number during their sign up process (As seen below). Within a few business days your account will be credited with 1 month of free home phone service. There is no limit to how many free months you can receive from referrals… Refer 12 people, get a whole year of free home phone service!
Save, invest, prosper!