Well, here we are…another round of personal finance and investing predictions (along with some other predictions) – just for fun.
For the last few years I’ve made some financial predictions by looking into my cloudy crystal ball. Here is a post about last year’s predictions and results – I was happy to report a got a few of them right.
Here are recaps from previous years:
I recently checked what that trusty crystal ball told me for 2018:
- The Ottawa Senators will NOT make the playoffs.
I have purchased tickets for a few games this winter (I already attended one game in 2017 versus the Penguins), but this year has been an absolute disaster.
- The Tampa Bay Lightning will win The Stanley Cup.
I feel they are the best overall team in the NHL. We’ll see if they prove me right.
- Telus will increase their dividend by 5%.
In recent years, Telus’ Board of Directors announced they intend to grow their dividend year after year. We’ll see if they remain true to their word in 2018.
- The S&P 500 will finish the year at 2,970.
Last year, in U.S. dollar returns, the S&P 500 returned almost 20%! I certainly didn’t see that coming in 2017, which is why I always think the best time to invest was yesterday.
- The TSX will finish the year at 18,750.
- Gold will finish the year at $1,400.
- Oil will finish the year at $75.
I’m bullish on oil this year.
- Our dollar will finish the year at $0.82, against the U.S. dollar, by year’s end.
- All big-five Canadian banks will increase their dividend at least once in 2018.
We’ll see if I get this one right! I think with higher interest rates, all our biggest banks will increase their dividends: Royal Bank (RY), TD Bank (TD), Bank of Nova Scotia (BNS), Bank of Montreal (BMO) and CIBC (CM). I intend to buy more of these stocks in 2018.
- Kinder Morgan (KMI:US) will increase their dividend.
As a shareholder of only a few U.S. dividend stocks now (some of the remaining ones include T, VZ, JNJ, PG, DUK and SO) I hope I nail this one. (I’m using ETF VYM more and more for my U.S. assets for income and growth. It’s one of my favourite low-cost U.S. dividend ETFs you can read about here.)
- I hope my wife and I can achieve both of these financial goals.
- Rory McIlroy will win The Masters.
That’s it! I hope you have fun following along in 2018.