2017 Predictions – Final Update
Welcome to my final update for my 2017 predictions. I hope you had a great year.
Back in January 2017 I made a few predictions hoping I would nail some of them.
Let’s see how I did now that 2017 is almost in our collective past.
- The Ottawa Senators will make the playoffs.
Bingo! And then some… My Senators came within one goal of reaching the Stanley Cup final last June. Damn those Penguins…
- The Washington Capitals will The Stanley Cup.
Nope, wrong. Congrats to the Pens, again.
- BCE will increase their dividend by at least 3%.
- The Dow will finish the year at 21,200.
Wow, WAY off. The Dow finished the year at 24,719. To put that gain into perspective, if you owned a U.S.-listed index fund that covered most of the U.S. market you would have enjoyed returns of about 20% this year. Impressive.
- The TSX will finish the year at 17,100.
Close but not quite. The TSX finished the year at 16,209.
- Bank of Nova Scotia will increase their dividend by at least 3%.
BNS increased their dividend by about 2.7%. (I should add I expect another 3% dividend increase sometime in 2018.)
- Gold will be worth $1,200.
Not quite. Gold finished the year at $1,309.
- Canadian Utilities will increase their dividend by at least 3%.
I should have posted my original article when I planned! I got this one. On January 12, 2017 CU hiked its dividend by 10%. You can see their dividend history here.
- Phil Mickelson will win the Masters.
Wrong but great to see Sergio win. The Masters remains one of my favourite tournaments to watch every single year. Thanks to my neighbour I finally got to see Augusta in person that week. That place is off the charts.
- Fortis will increase their dividend by at least 5%.
Like clockwork, investors can expect a dividend increase from Fortis every year. I nailed this one. They increased their dividend by over 6% in October 2017. Shareholders can likely expect another 5% (or so) raise in late-2018.
- Oil will be $65 per barrel.
Oil started to make a recovery in late-2017. Oil finished the year at $60.
- Our Canadian dollar will be $0.75 compared to the US dollar.
I missed this one, and was surprised. Our dollar finished the year over $0.79.
- Procter & Gamble will increase their dividend by at least 3%.
P&G increased their dividend by that very amount, 3%, back in April 2017. I suspect another 3% dividend hike will occur before the end of April 2018.
- Brookfield Renewable Energy will increase their dividend by at least 3%.
Brookfield is targeting 5% to 9% annual growth in cash distributions in the coming years. Staying true to their word they increased their dividends by 5% in early February.
- Wells Fargo will increase their dividend by at least 3%.
Wells Fargo increased their dividend by about 2.6% earlier this year. Correct when you round up!
Those were my specific predictions for 2017. Not bad overall. Let’s see how 2018 plays out. Happy New Year to you and best wishes.
What did you see happening in 2017? What do you see happening in 2018?