Earlier this year, just for fun I shared some financial predictions for 2014. Here’s a recap of what I predicted and where things are at year-to-date:
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average will finish the year at 16,700.
It opened the year around 16,441. It is now 17,137.
- The S&P/TSX Composite will finish the year at 14,200.
It opened the year around 13,594. It is now 15,560.
- Our Canadian Dollar will finish the year at $0.90 compared to the US Dollar.
It opened the year around $0.94. It is now $0.92.
- Fortis (FTS) will increase their dividend.
Back on February 6th Fortis increased its dividend to $0.32 per share starting March 1. They raise their dividend like clockwork. (Actually, I think they announced this dividend hike in December 2013 and I missed the news feed on that one.)
- Telus (T) will increase their dividend.
In February 2014 Telus gave shareholders a 12.5% raise. In May 2014, they hiked their dividend again to the current $0.38 per share. Dividends will likely rise again in 2015.
- Walmart (WMT:US) will increase their dividend.
Also back in February Walmart bumped their dividend by 2%. The dividend is now $0.48 per share.
- AT&T (T:US) will increase their dividend.
In December 2013 AT&T increased their quarterly dividend by 2.2%. You and I will probably need to wait until December (2014) to see if they do it again.
- My Own Advisor will giveaway more stuff on this site.
I gave away a copy of Travel Hacking for Canadians in July and later this year, probably just in time for Christmas shopping, I’ll giveaway more stuff to lucky readers so keep reading and sharing this site.
Did you make any financial predictions for 2014? If so, what were they?