Earlier this year, just for fun I shared some financial predictions for 2014. Here’s a recap of what I predicted and where things are at year-end.
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average will finish the year at 16,700.
It opened the year around 16,441. It finished at 17,823.07. I was way off the mark here.
- The S&P/TSX Composite will finish the year at 14,200.
It opened the year around 13,594. It finished at 14,632.44.
- Our Canadian Dollar will finish the year at $0.90 compared to the US Dollar.
It opened the year around $0.94. It finished at $0.86.
- Fortis (FTS) will increase their dividend.
Well, back on February 6th Fortis increased its dividend to $0.32 per share starting March 1. On December 17th, 2014 they decided to increase their dividend again for the 2015 year, from $0.32 to $0.34 per share. If you want to own a company that pays a predictable dividend and increases their dividend every year, Fortis might be it.
- Telus (T) will increase their dividend.
In May 2014, Telus increased their dividend to $0.38 per share. This month they announced their dividend will be $0.40 per share payable in early January 2015. I predict there will be more dividend increases for Telus in 2015.
- Walmart (WMT:US) will increase their dividend.
Also back in late-February, Walmart bumped their dividend by 2%. The dividend is now $0.48 per share.
- AT&T (T:US) will increase their dividend.
In December 2013, AT&T increased their quarterly dividend by 2.2%. Like clockwork, AT&T raised their dividend again this winter, the 31st consecutive year of dividend growth, increasing the dividend to $0.47 per share.
- My Own Advisor will giveaway more stuff on this site.
Over the last few months I reviewed these books and thanks to the authors, raffled away:
I intend to give more stuff away in 2015 so keep reading my blog and share it with family and friends.