2012 was a great year for My Own Advisor blog thanks to every dedicated reader, the casual reader, anyone who took a few seconds to comment on my site and all the blogs who referred to and linked to My Own Advisor. You made it an enjoyable year to be online.
This was my first full year of self-hosting after launching my domain in May 2011. Although I had a few hiccups with my host provider now and then it was a pretty smooth operational year overall. Thanks to Bluehost for keeping me up and running 24/7 and providing excellent customer service when I needed it. I would highly recommend them to anyone.
2012 Blog Traffic
Since moving my blog from Blogger to WordPress platform and self-hosting, traffic to My Own Advisor increased over 2011, and thanks to you for that.
- Visits to were steady, averaging between 12,000 and 14,000 per month.
- Pageviews were consistent, averaging from 21,000 up to 24,000 per month.
- Almost 50% of all site traffic is courtesy of new visitors. I hope you keep coming back.
- Most of my visitors are from North America, but folks are following from around the world. I had visitors from all parts of Europe, many parts of African and Asia. Readership is also growing in Australia. Aussie-Aussie-Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi!
- Almost 20% of my traffic is coming from mobile hardware, tablets and smartphones. Nice to see you taking me along.
- About 50% of my traffic is coming from organic searches, folks I assume, stumbling upon My Own Advisor. Thousands of visits per month are due to direct traffic and feeds. Finally, thanks to many of my favourite blogs, personal finance and investing sites and forums more traffic is coming this way every day. Special recognition goes out to:
Thanks to the folks above and many other websites for supporting My Own Advisor in 2012. You know who you are and I interact with you frequently on social media.
For 2013, like interest rates and stock markets, I really have no idea what’s in store for My Own Advisor. I have a list of personal finance and investing goals I’m kicking around but in terms of this site, I don’t really have any specific goals in mind. Maybe I should? To come to think of it more, these would be great milestones if they were achieved:
- Consistently average over 20,000 site visits per month.
- Hit 30,000 pageviews per month.
- Surpass 1,500 subscribers.
- Surpass over 2,000 Twitter followers.
- Redesign the site.
The last bullet I’ve been toying around with for some time and I might get some professional help to do it. We’ll see. On one hand, I would like to learn how to do this myself, learn more code and be very much in control over everything. The downside, this takes time, some willingness to practice and also make some mistakes. I’m OK with the latter but the former, time, might be hard to find. If I decide to redesign the site, I will let you know when I do 🙂
In closing, it’s been great to see the blog get some more exposure, amongst my peers, in the media and internationally through more feeds and subscriptions. I look forward to wherever it may take me next year.
In 2013, I encourage you to keep following my investing journey, interact with me, share my posts and stories with everyone but maybe most importantly, leave a comment about all things personal finance and investing, or really, anything else when the mood strikes. We can all learn from each other.
Thanks for a rewarding year in 2012. Stay tuned for a couple more posts in 2012 and a whole bunch of good stuff in 2013!
Thanks for the mention, I really appreciate it!
Keep up the great work! Very impressive stats. I wish you all the best for 2013.
Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year!
Steve, awesome to read that. Thanks very much and I’ll be watching all your sites in 2013! Happy Holidays to you and family.
You do a really good job here, and throughout social media. Despite a huge 2012, I think 2013 will even be a bigger year for you – mostly due to your passion and dedication. Cheers and all the best in the new year!!
Thanks Eddie. I appreciate the encouragement. We’ve got some big plans for 2013 and I can’t wait to get at them 🙂
Have a great holiday and cheers to the New Year!
Thanks Eddie, I appreciate the words of encouragement! All the best in 2013 for you.
Glad to hear you had a great year mate, looks like you had some great support behind you. Keep it up and who knows what you will surpass in 2013~ Mr.CBB
Yeah, pretty pleased with 2012. We’ll see what 2013 has in store.
You’re doing awesome, Mark. I wish you and your family happy holidays and the best for 2013. 🙂
Thanks Kevin. Always appreciate your comments and support. Happy Holidays and all the best in 2013!
Thanks for the shout-out, Mark! Looks like you’ve had a great year. You’ve been one of my favorites since I started blogging. Here’s to an awesome year in 2013!
Thanks Echo. Not a bad year and lots to be thankful and proud of. I appreciate the kind words about the site. Best wishes to you and family for the holidays, and much success for 2013 🙂
Avrex, very kind words and thanks very much. I look forward to interacting with you lots in 2013. I enjoy your site as well, love the details.
I love reading your blog. Keep up the good work. The best to you in 2013.