Recently my wife and I decided to take a couple weeks off work and enjoy a staycation. You know, spending some extended time close to home? In hindsight this was a perfect way for us to spend part of our summer together. Here is why we did it and what we got out of it.
- We’ve been busy this year – it was nice to unwind and not be busy.
- We’ve already done some international travelling this year, with more travelling to come this year, so there was no big desire to travel.
- Further to the above, it was nice to save some money for future purchases and trips.
- We got some much needed work done around our home.
- We had quality time to entertain family.
- We had time to do some fun activities (like golfing), that we rarely do together.
- We took advantage of free events and local activities like the farmer’s market down the road.
- We had time to cook some new meals.
- We didn’t waste money driving around the countryside thanks to high gas prices.
- I rode my mountain bike a few times and found some cool new trails.
- We went swimming.
- We got to know our neighbours better.
- We had time to enjoy the weather.
- We had time to enjoy our favourite craft beers on the deck.
- Again, we didn’t feel rushed to do anything.
- And more and more and more…
In the end, we spent our vacation exactly how we wanted to. Isn’t that what vacations should be for?
What are your thoughts on staycations? Have you done one? Are you doing one this summer?