To win one of these online codes you just need to enter my giveaway using the options below. When commenting or tweeting I encourage you to finish this sentence: I save on taxes by __________. Sharing your favourite tax filing tips with me and with others in a comment or tweet will increase your chances to win.
I’ll draw the winners at random and if you’re a lucky winner, I will email you. Make sure you enter a valid email address. You’ll have 48 hours to respond to my email. If I don’t hear back from you I’ll draw another name.
If you can’t think of any ways to save on taxes, fear not, I have a few tips for you. Over the next few weeks while my TurboTax giveaway is on I might tweet out a few more tax tips as I research them and maybe write another blogpost about them – so stay tuned for those.
Students – put cash back into your pocket (rather your Mom and Dad’s pocket) by claiming:
- Tuition – up to $400/month you were in school.
- Books – up to $65/month you were in school.
- Moving costs – when you moved over 40km to attend school (and out of your parent’s basement).
Parents – identify these tax credits for your family:
- Children’s fitness tax credit – up to $500 per year for eligible child.
- If you’re a new parent maybe you can claim the Adoption Expense Credit.
- Check to see if you qualify for the Home Buyer’s Amount, a tax credit up to $5,000.
- Don’t miss out on the GST/HST rebate, if your primary place of residence was a new house and the price was under $450,000.
Seniors and retirees:
- Use TurboTax to see if you qualify for the Family Caregiver Tax Credit.
- File on time – seniors receiving Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) must file on time to continue benefits and payments.
Good luck to all students, parents, new homeowners (same as homemoaners really) and retirees alike with my giveaway.