List/Grid Asset Allocation Subscribe RSS feed of category Asset Allocation

Stocks

Reader Question – Should I invest directly in the USA outside registered accounts?

Readers of my site likely know by now I’m a fan of investing in dividend paying stocks and indexed Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) to fund my financial freedom. I invest in dividend paying stocks for a few key reasons: I like it when companies pay me money every month or quarter, In many cases, these companies increase their dividends every year, providing some inflation protection, and In a non-registered account, the Canadian stocks I own qualify for the dividend tax credit. I invest in indexed ETFs for a few key reasons: To achieve market performance ...
Investing Advice

Rethinking this bond allocation should match your age formula

David Swensen’s book Unconventional Success mentioned that investors should construct a portfolio with monies allocated to the core asset classes below, keeping a bias towards equities: 30% Domestic Equity (VTI) 15% Foreign Developed Equity (VEA) 5% Emerging Markets (VWO) 20% REITs (Real Estate Investment Trusts) (VNQ) 15% U.S. Treasury Bonds (SHY) 15% TIPS (Treasury Inflation Protection Securities) Add up bonds and treasuries and that’s 30% fixed income folks. Many financial experts including a famous one, John Bogle, have stated as you ...
International

Top International Equity ETFs for your portfolio

Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep in reserve.” – Talmud, circa 1200 B.C.-500 A.D. Last month, I provided you some of my favourite Canadian equity and bond ETFs to consider for your portfolio.  While Canadian holdings in your portfolio are important if you’re a Canadian and you plan on retiring in Canada; using Canadian money for retirement income, they aren’t the only investments you should own.  This is because global equity investments can balance ...
Investing

Equities built to last for your portfolio

Inspired by the recent “RRSP season” this post is about some Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) and Canadian dividend paying stocks that might not win any sprints but will win the marathon that is long-term investing.  Why do I think that?  Because ETFs are some of the best in the business and less miniscule money management fees, as the market goes, so does the ETFs and your portfolio returns.  In other cases, I’ve listed some individual stocks for you to consider for your portfolio, what I consider dividend paying studs that should never stop ...

Questions for financial experts and their RRSP game plans

A few weeks ago on a flight, I read an article in The Globe and Mail entitled Four experts offer their RRSP game plans.   The premise of the article was to disclose the RRSPs of four certified financial planners; strategies that Canadian investors might consider for their own portfolios.  To be honest, I was a little surprised by the personal strategies of some of these financial planners.  Maybe that’s why personal finance is personal. In any event let’s review what they told us (in quotes from the article) with my questions and comments ...

Got a defined benefit pension plan? Consider yourself lucky then consider it a big bond

You’ve probably heard that risk and reward go hand-in-hand.  Take on more investment risk and you might be rewarded with higher investment returns.  The potential for higher investment return is the carrot dangled in front of us for owning the risky investment. Understanding some asset classes have more risk than others, investors often balance their portfolios, balancing primarily between stocks and bonds.  What’s the best mix for stocks and bonds?  There isn’t one (that I know of) but after some brief research courtesy of Vanguard’s ...

Top of Page

Copyright © 2009 to 2014 by My Own Advisor. All Rights Reserved. Admin
Powered by Theme Junkie  •  Designed by Dividend Ninja