I enjoy predictions, I treat them as entertainment. I had some fun with my 2015 predictions and I actually got a few of them right. When it comes to the financial markets, I think people should “buckle up” for 2016. I think it’s going to be a wild ride. Oil is crashing, our Canadian dollar has tanked and my Senators are up and down. I’ll be going to a few games between now and April to cheer my hometown team into the playoffs. Will the Senators make the playoffs? Where will oil finish the year? What stocks will raise their dividends in 2016? How will our dollar finish? Here’s what I think about a bunch of stuff in 2016.
- The Ottawa Senators will make the playoffs.
- The Chicago Blackhawks will win The Stanley Cup. A safe bet?
- Telus will increase their dividend by 5%.
- Enbridge will increase their dividend by 5%. Might be a stretch.
- The Dow will finish the year at 16,500.
- Coca-Cola will increase their dividend by 3%.
- Bonds will have a positive return in 2016, returning 3%, to be measured by iShares ETF XBB.
- The TSX will finish the year at 13,000. I’m really not sure about this one!
- Oil will finish at $45. Seems impossible right now.
- Our dollar will be $0.74, against the U.S. dollar, by the end of 2016.
- I’ll play more golf this summer (when compared to last summer).
- Royal Bank will increase their dividend by 5%.
Those are my specific predictions for 2016. Let’s see how well my crystal ball, Magic 8 Ball and palm reading works.
What do you see happening in 2016?